Monday, August 24, 2015

Mucho Gracias Maria

Oh what a week! Monday for Pday we went to Vicksburg. We have a set of sisters there that we did exchanges with on Tuesday. But we went up and spent Pday with them. They have a park, Military Park, and it is all about the civil war. You can walk around and see where they actually fought. It was really cool! 

Me and Sister Dutton

 Military Park in Vicksburg


Mississippi River

This week has just been really slow. We weren't able to find any new investigators for the second week in a row.

Wednesday night we went over to the Smallwood's for dinner. She is the Primary president and he is the Ward mission leader. We have come to really like them and it has become a tradition since i have been here to eat there every Wednesday night. They are awesome and sister Smallwood helps a lot with Daja. 

Hanging out with Deja

Thursday was rough for me. I woke up that morning and felt terrible. We were in Mendenhall so i slept on a couch all night and I just felt so achy. Sister Cothern had a doctors appointment that morning so we stayed in and i slept till 12. I felt so bad for sister Dutton, but i needed it! The rest of the day i felt better but i still felt gross. 

We got to teach Alexis and Michael about prayer and scripture study. We asked Michael what his favorite story has been so far (from the Book of Mormon stories) and he said it was the one about Joseph. The very first story is the first vision! We thought that was pretty neat. 

We also visited two older couples that are less active, and both of them came to church yesterday! That was exciting to see:)

Friday morning we had an appointment with a less active, Paige. Her husband works all the time and so she doesn't like coming by herself with three young kids. It was a good visit. We just don't know what to do to help her come back to church. Any ideas? 

Okay, rewind a few days, we had been using our area book looking for former investigators. We found this guy who was taught about a year and half ago and we wanted to go see him. But he was too many miles away from where we were so we were going to try him later. Okay, now back to present time. We were on our way to see Paige and passed by the street where that guy lived. So on our way home we stopped to try and meet him. It was a trailer with a wooden porch. We knock and this older Hispanic lady, Maria, answers the door. She didn't speak a ton of English so she was a bit confused regarding why we were there. We explained who we were looking for and it was her son, but he didn't live there anymore. In the process of all this happening a red wasp came out of nowhere and stung the back of my leg!!! As i processed what had just happened it started flying at me again! I am running around trying to get away from this wasp, lose it, and then can feel it in my hair. so then i start freaking out, my bag is on the floor, my hair is a mess, and the stupid thing stung my head too! While all that was happening the lady had gone back inside, we thought to just leave us there to suffer. But then she came back out with some wasp spray and was spraying it everywhere. She let us in and gave me some ice. That helped the sting a bit. Good news is that i am not allergic and the pain went away by the end of the day. 

Anyway, we got talking with Maria and through the little English she knew told us that her son passed away earlier in the year. :( So that was a bummer. We consoled her and then were on our way. She wasn't interested in us teaching a lesson until her English was better. We are going to go back sometime soon. 

Saturday night we spent time with the Bishop and his wife, the Eady's. They are an awesome couple. They took us to dinner and then it was raining so we came back and did service. We decorated a ton of different ribbon for Daja to play with during primary. We were so excited to show it to her and then they weren't at church because of Alexis' MS was acting up. But it was a lot of fun to make. 
Sister Eady also made me this interesting drink to help my sore throat. It actually helped but every time i would drink some it was like a kick in the face! Oh i was glad to be done with it. 

Fun Crafting for Deja

Sunday was another long day. Church was great but the rest of the time we really spent tracting. We were out for three hours and not one lesson. It was a hard way to end  a hard week. And we are hoping and praying for more direction so we can pick up the work here. I am so grateful for the knowledge of this gospel! It brings so much peace and happiness. I love y'all lots! Have a great week.

LOVE, Sister Kelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment