Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Helping the Blind. Literally & Figuratively

So we started the week off with an oil change and new tires on our car! It was really nice but it took all of Tuesday morning and into the afternoon to get it all finished. While we were there we got talking to this guy who gave us a little book about what we need to do in this life to make sure we go to heaven in the next. It was interesting to read. That evening we went to dinner with the bishop and his wife. It is always good to be able to get to know the bishop. I am excited to be working with them. 

Wednesday we had our district meeting so that took a lot of time out of our day. When we were on our way home a member texted us and asked for our help. She works in the high school and was setting up for school to start. (It started last Thursday) They are trying to start switching everyone over to computers, and they are working with a program called Canvas. I used that in college so I was able to somewhat help her. We got talking to her and  they have made it against the law to pray at all during any school event. It has been a huge ordeal and none of the teachers are happy about it. I asked if they were allowed to before sports and not even then. The coach can get fired.. So ridiculous. 

Thursday we went by and taught/ helped one of our investigators, Ada. She is in her 60's and had a stroke a few years back. Well the stroke caused her to lose her vision and so she just wanders around hoping she is doing things right. Like, she never knows what she sets her temperature at in her apartment, or the microwave. But we went there and helped her to schedule some doctors appointments and clean up around the apartment. She actually keeps everything pretty clean. But she lost her phone awhile back (she has since got a new one) but we searched the apartment for it and never found it. But we did find some awesome sunglasses! I'll attach a picture haha i guess her doctor gave them to her so that people could know she was blind. But she said she hates them so she gave them to us! She has a friend who has family that are members so she had lots of questions that we answered! I think that is my favorite thing to do, answer peoples questions. 



Friday night we went over and had dinner with Bobby Jean. She had cooked us Enchiladas and then strawberry shortcake for dinner. She is awesome. She is like my grandma on my mission. She is still really sick though, we hope she can start coming back to church. She just got one of those necklaces with the button you push if you fall. You know the, "Help, i have fallen and i can't get up", commercials? That is what she has! We are glad because she has already fallen twice and broken a lot. 

Saturday the stake had a Women's Conference. Sister Dutton and I went early to help set up. It was so much fun to be back at the Clinton building and see all of the women from the ward. I loved serving there so much! But it was also fun because I had the opportunity to get to know the women in the ward I'm in now! I really like the members here. 

That night we went over to Connie Smith's home. She is a less active and has gone through a lot of hard things. She has come to church both times since i have been here, and on Saturday she told us that she made it a commitment to come every week. She really does want to make a difference in her life. I am excited to be able to get to know her. 

Alexis is doing great! We didn't get to teach her this week because we couldn't go to Mendenhall with the Cothren's. But she came to church even though she wasn't feeling well. I ended up sitting in the hall with Alexis and her three kids while sister Dutton sat with Connie. Thankfully we could still hear the meeting but it was hard to stay focused while watching Deja (She is the one who has downs syndrome) at the same time. I don't know how Alexis handles all three of her kids by herself. 

That night we had a cottage meeting with some of the less active in Mendenhall. It is something that the wards do to help the less active still have fellowship and hopefully come back to church. Well investigators come as well so Alexis was there! We talked about modern miracles and shared stories with each other. it was really good. While we were on our way out Sister Cothren says, "So Alexis found out we don't drink coffee." We looked over at Alexis and she says, "Yeah, i only had a tiny bit this morning! I am trying to wean myself off of it." Sister Dutton and I just sat there in shock. We haven't even taught her about the word of wisdom yet and she already committed herself to live it! She is solid! 

It has been such a great week. I am so grateful for my time here. It is going by so fast. Sister Dutton and I are getting along great and are doing our best to spread the work here. I know that my Savior lives, and I know Heavenly Father loves us all. I am so thankful for the scriptures and the comfort they bring. 

I hope y'all have a fabulous week! Love you!
Sister Erika Kelly 


One of my amazing tan lines haha


No comments:

Post a Comment